This conference is a community built on civil debate and respect. All participants are expected to observe a high level of decorum while visiting Williamsburg and the College. Found below are the conference Code of Conduct and the delegate waiver which all delegates must bring in order to participate. Please be sure to read this code of conduct, as all delegates will be expected to adhere to it for the duration of the conference.
WMHSMUN CODE OF CONDUCT
Please be sure to read this code of conduct, as all delegates will be expected to adhere to it for the duration of the conference.
- WMHSMUN has a zero-tolerance policy towards the illegal use of drugs and alcohol. The Commonwealth of Virginia and the College of William & Mary have identical policies regarding the consumption of alcohol by persons under the age of 21: it is strictly prohibited. Any infraction of this drug and alcohol policy will be immediately reported to the delegate’s sponsor and W&M Campus Police.
- WMHSMUN and College Policies prohibit smoking inside all buildings and within 25 feet of any building. Participants are strongly discouraged from smoking at any time during the conference. This policy also applies to vaporizers or e-cigarettes. Please respect the Woodlands smoking policies for individual rooms.
- The dress code for delegates is Western business attire. Coats and ties are required of male delegates. Female delegates follow with suits, skirts, slacks, appropriate blouses, and closed-toed shoes Please reference the Dress Code section of the delegate handbook for further information.
- Any form of harassment will not be tolerated and any offenders will be dealt with immediately and strictly.
- The Secretariat reserves the right to immediately expel delegates from the conference for unacceptable behavior, including but not limited to, vulgar language, suggestive remarks, obscene gestures or body language, violent physical outbursts, or derogatory comments or notes made either in or out of committee.
- In order to enhance and maintain a productive committee atmosphere, personal communication devices such as cellphones, tablets, and laptops are to be disabled in committee sessions. All cell phones should be silent before the start of committee. Electronic devices may be used outside the committee room if necessary. If a delegate has a medical or family emergency and has a reason to receive a call during committee, please inform the committee director before the session begins. The Secretariat will grant exceptions to this policy if informed of any necessary accommodations prior to conference weekend.
- The official curfew of WMHSMUN is midnight. Delegates must also be mindful of the noise curfew at the Woodlands and remember to be courteous to other guests staying at the hotel who are not affiliated with the conference. After 11:00 PM, there should not be delegates congregating in the halls.
- The Woodlands Hotel and Suites reserves the right to ask delegates to leave the hotel for unacceptable and prohibited behavior. All damages to the hotel are the responsibility of the student and his/her sponsor.
- All conference attendees recognize that while WMHSMUN contains competitive elements, education is the priority. Delegates and Sponsors are bound at all times to act in accordance with good sportsmanship and in respect for fair play.
- Visiting students will be bound by the College of William & Mary Honor Code which reads: As a Member of the William & Mary community, I pledge, on my Honor, not to lie, cheat, or steal in either my academic or personal life. I understand that such acts violate the Honor Code and undermine the community of trust of which we are all stewards.
- Chewing gum is prohibited in Sadler Center and Williamsburg Lodge. This includes times such as opening ceremonies, during committee, and during social events hosted by WMHSMUN. Please be respectful of the buildings and help us ensure that future conferences can enjoy a clean environment.
- Delegates are also bound by the policies of their respective schools and sponsors.